Click on an attorney to view full profile.
Meet Our Team
- Attorney of Counsel, Garofalo & Pryor; now Garofalo & O’Neill, 1990-present, and Robert C. Garofalo, P.A., 1984-1989
- Partner in the firm of Dubow and Garofalo, 1280 Route 46, Parsippany, New Jersey, 1976-1984. Concentrating in all phases of local government law, real estate development and commercial law.
- Partner in the firm of Ryan, Foster and Garofalo with offices at 134 Evergreen Place, East Orange, New Jersey and 345 Parsippany Road, Parsippany, New Jersey. 1968-1976.
- Partner in the firm of Lando & Garofalo, 501 Main Street, West Orange, New Jersey, 1963-1968
- Engaged in private law practice, 1960-1963.
Township Attorney for Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills. In this capacity, served as chief legal officer of the largest municipality in Morris County, responsible for all legal matters, including: Labor negotiations; Tax appeals; Public works projects, including bonding, contract negotiations involving public improvements totaling $200,000,000.00, arbitration of public contract claims and disputes; Extensive budget matters; Litigation involving zoning, planning, construction, contracts, bidding, etc.; All phases of zoning, planning and real estate development; Involvement with State and County agencies including: Departments of Environmental Protection, Community Affairs, Health, Department of Personal Civil Service and Board of Public Utilities; and Eminent domain and land valuation.
Specialties also include extensive construction and contract litigation; all phases of real estate development for subdivisions, site plans and variances for residential development, condominium development (residential and commercial), shopping centers, industrial facilities, commercial and office buildings, restaurants, franchise food facilities, and various franchise operations; construction of such facilities and heavy construction. Appearances before zoning boards of adjustment, planning boards, governing bodies and courts involving all areas of prerogative writs.
In the area of labor negotiations, have represented and continue to represent management and various bargaining units in both the public and private sectors.
In the area of corporate law, have represented general businesses, banks, insurance companies, heavy industry, construction companies, advertising agencies and public warehousing companies. Have represented clients involving substantial financial matters.
Have represented builders, contractors and developers in the State of New Jersey. These activities involve construction of garden apartments, condominiums, large residential subdivisions, industrial tracts and other commercial buildings. Legal representation concerned all phases of such developments including financing, state, local and federal approvals, including HUD and N.J. Housing Finance Agency, Department of Environmental Protection for sewerage, water and ECRA, all of the contract negotiations involved in such projects and leasing arrangements.
J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1960.
B.A. Degree, Rutgers University School of Business Administration, 1956
Instructor at Upsala University
Guest Lecturer at Steven’s Institute
Authored legal articles for a construction trade journal.
State of New Jersey, 1960
U.S. District Court (N.J.), 1960
U.S. Court of Appeals (Third Circuit), 1960
American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator, Mediator
American Bar Association
Mediation Program, Morris County Superior Court, Special Civil Part
New Jersey State Bar Association
Garibaldi Inn of Court
Commissioner, North Jersey District Water Supply Commission
- Member, Garofalo, Zierak & O’Neill; now Garofalo & O’Neill, 2005 to present.
Associate, Garofalo & Pryor, P.A., 2001 to 2005.
- Associate, Pojanowski & Trawinski, P.C., 1998 to 2001. Concentrating in all phases of local government law, ad valorem tax appeals, commercial law and land-use issues.
Appearances before the New Jersey Supreme, Appellate and Superior Courts. Appearances before Federal Court and Bankruptcy Court on various matters. Also, wide-ranging experience with both redevelopment and rehabilitation projects, representing both developers and municipalities in drafting of enabling ordinances and conducting related hearings before municipal boards and councils regarding implementation.
Representation of private parties in transactions involving historic preservation and open space dedication on state and local levels. Representation of property owners regarding ad valoren tax appeals. Specialties also include compliance with and defense relating to Barrier Free Subcodes and Access to Public Accommodations, state and local property condemnation, as well as construction and contract litigation.
- J.D., Rutgers School of Law, Camden, 1997
- B.S., Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J., 1988
- State of New Jersey, 1998
- U.S. District Court, District of N.J., 1999
- Morris County Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Land Use Section
- President, Kiwanis Club of Greater Parsippany, 2009-2010
- President, Kiwanis Club of Greater Parsippany Foundation, 2010-2011
- Lt. Governor, New Jersey District of Kiwanis International, 2010-2011
- LAW OFFICES OF GAROFALO & O’NEILL, Parsippany, New Jersey
Member, March, 2013 – present
- Of Counsel association with this well regarded Morris County firm to address its expanding litigation practice and to assist with its many local government matters.
- LAW OFFICES OF WILLIAM S. RUGGIERIO, Marlton, New Jersey
Trial Attorney/Owner of firm, July, 2006 – December, 2012
- Handled complex commercial litigation; Municipal Government Law – litigation and general representation; Condominium Association representation; Sophisticated contracts and transactional work
- TOWNSHIP OF EVESHAM, BURLINGTON COUNTY, Marlton, New Jersey
Township Solicitor, 2007 – 2008
- Handled all aspects of municipal government litigation for this large Burlington County municipality; Provided advice to elected officials, Department Heads and statutory officers; drafted municipal laws and regulations.
- KARA HOMES, East Brunswick, New Jersey
Chief Counsel/General Counsel , January 2006 – June 2006
- Employed as Chief legal officer for this company … the fastest growing homebuilder in New Jersey at the time. Supervised and directed legal staff (five lawyers, four paralegals and miscellaneous clerical assistants) during period of significant increase in litigation workload related to bank workouts, defaulted municipal development conditions, forced sales of properties and related matters.
- LAW OFFICES OF WILLIAM S. RUGGIERIO, Marlton, New Jersey
Trial Attorney/Owner of firm, January, 2005 – December, 2005
- Litigation, General Practice, Condominium Association representation, Sophisticated contracts and transactional work
- TOWNSHIP OF MOUNT OLIVE, Morris County, New Jersey
Business Administrator, March, 2004 – August, 2004
- Employed as Chief Executive Officer to New Jersey municipality; Responsible for administration of all Township government operations; Supervised seven municipal departments and 104 employees. Oversaw and approved all payables. Promulgated and enforced personnel policies.
- TOWNSHIP OF OLD BRIDGE, Middlesex County, New Jersey
Director of Law, March, 1992 – March, 2004
Served 13 years as Chief Legal Officer for Middlesex County’s largest municipality.
Responsible for the oversight and prosecution of all Township legal affairs. Provided advice to elected officials, Department Heads and statutory officers; drafted municipal laws and regulations. Litigated employment matters, complex construction disputes, land use disputes, hundreds of eminent domain proceedings, tax appeals and police matters
- OKLAHOMA CITY UNIVERSITY, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Juris Doctor, 1975
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, Camden, New Jersey
Bachelor of Arts – Political Science, 1973
CERTIFIED CIVIL TRIAL ATTORNEY, of the State of New Jersey since 2008
DIPLOMATE DESIGNATION, in New Jersey Local Government Law, jointly conferred by Rutgers University, The New Jersey institute of Municipal Attorneys and The New Jersey institute for Continuing Legal Education — since 1991
- OKLAHOMA, 1975
- NEW JERSEY, 1976
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT – DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY, 1976
- U.S. 3RD CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS, 1978
- U.S. SUPREME COURT, 1978